Las Vegas may not have the extreme temperatures during the winter that some parts of the country do, but that doesn’t mean we don’t deal with winter pest problems all the same! Changes in the weather cause rodents, insects, and other pests to squeeze their way inside your homes in search of shelter and warmth.
For this reason, it’s important to learn how to protect your home from pests in the wintertime. The experts at Rentokil have compiled their top tips on how to prevent winter pests in your Las Vegas home!
What are the most common winter bugs?
During the wintertime, there are many bugs and pests that look to enter homes. Some of the pest problems you may face during this time of year include infestations from:
- Argentine ants. These fast breeding ants start to produce eggs in the late winter, which is why it’s important to prevent them.
- Rats & mice. House mice and Norway rats in particular are known to squeeze their way indoors during the cold months.
- Spiders. House spiders are typically harmless, but black widows are known to get indoors this time of year.
- German cockroaches. One of the most popular cockroach species, they are known to be especially troublesome in the winter.
Prevent Winter Pests in 5 Steps
Keeping pests out of your home in the winter months requires many of the same efforts of preventing pests year-round. Five ways you can prevent winter pests include:
- Seal cracks and crevices outside your property to keep pests from making their way inside.
- Place screens over vents and chimneys to eliminate entry points inside the property.
- Store firewood away from the home and eliminate clutter in your yard to discourage nesting.
- Eliminate sources of excess moisture by promptly fixing leaking pipes and clogged drains.
- Promptly clean up spills, dispose of garbage regularly, and avoid excess clutter.
Professional Winter Pest Control
To avoid the frustration of a pest infestation during the winter, you need to learn how to protect your property against pests. Rodents, cockroaches, and spiders are common pest infestations in Las Vegas winters, which is why it’s so important to implement winter pest control into your home maintenance routine. If you need help or want to learn more about how to prevent winter pests, give the experts at Rentokil a call today!