Here in Las Vegas, pest infestations are a year-round problem. Rodents are one of the most common fall pest problems, and they have been made worse this year by the pandemic. When restaurants and bars closed down or limited operations, rodents suddenly found themselves without their typical source of food. This forced them to look elsewhere and to compete for the little resources available. Unfortunately, this has led to a direct increase in residential infestations. Rodents aren’t just a nuisance—they can be very dangerous if they infest your property. For this reason alone, it’s crucial to learn how to prevent them. This Rodent Awareness Week, the Western Exterminator team is sharing their top tips for rodent prevention.
Are Rats & Mice More Dangerous During COVID-19?
We all know rats and mice have been linked to a number of dangerous diseases, but what about COVID-19? Thankfully, there is no current evidence or research to show that rodents are transmitting the current strain (SARS-CoV-2) to humans. Here’s what we do know about rodents during the pandemic:
- With the shelter in place orders, there have been a number of reported cases of rats and mice becoming more bold and rampant in the absence of food sources.
- The surge in rodent activity leads to a bigger risk of infestations and rodent-spread issues.
- They won’t COVID-19 to you or your family, but rodents still can spread other diseases including hantavirus, salmonellosis, and more.
- Once inside your home, rodents can cause damage with their chewing and nesting habits.
Best Rodent Prevention Tips
The last thing you have time to deal with right now is a rodent infestation. Here are our top tips to keep them away during the pandemic:
- Store all food securely. Make sure all open food is sealed in tight-fitting containers with lids.
- Seal holes around pipes. Use caulk or wire wool to cover up gaps and openings near pipes and other openings.
- Cover vents. Install mesh screens on your vents. Also, consider installing screens on doors and windows.
- Use tight lids on trash cans. Rodents love to rummage in the garbage! If possible, keep your trash cans sealed.
- Protect eaves. Fix any damaged roofing and use wire mesh to seal gaps in your eaves.
Fall Rodent Infestations in Las Vegas
All year long, the team at Western Exterminator of Las Vegas is committed to protecting our customers from pest problems. This Rodent Awareness Week, we are shedding a light on the rise of rat infestations. If you need assistance protecting your property, our rodent exterminators can help. Contact us today to learn more!
Worried About Rodents During the Pandemic? in Las Vegas NV
Serving Las Vegas - Henderson Metro Area