Outdoors, pests are a fact of life. Here in Las Vegas, we are used to the influx of insects in the summer and fall months. You’re likely looking to spend time outside in your backyard or on your patio with the summer winding down. You also likely don’t want to deal with any pests when you do so. While it can be difficult to avoid insects altogether in your yard, there are a few things you can do to make your property less attractive to pests.
The team at Western Exterminator of Las Vegas are here to share their top outdoor pest-proof tips.
What Pests Are In My Las Vegas Backyard?
The warm weather invites all types of pests and insects. Whether you have an outdoor living set or a play set for your kids, it’s important to know what pests you might encounter right in your backyard. These are the pests you’re likely to see or have problems with:
Pest-Free Outdoor Living Tips and Tricks
If you are planning to have family barbecues or gardening sessions outdoors, you don’t want to deal with pests. It’s important to know how to make your yard less attractive to insects. Some of our top tips include:
- Get rid of standing water. Stagnant water is one of the biggest attractants for mosquitoes.
- Keep your lawn and shrubs trimmed. Ticks and mosquitoes will shelter in overgrown vegetation or tall grass.
- Know how to identify nests or ant hills. Even a tiny mound can contain thousands of ants inside.
- Inspect all wood structures. Wood-destroying pests (carpenter ants and termites) will damage your wooden decks or porches.
- Apply an insect repellent. Most store-bought repellent containing DEET will help repel mosquitoes and ticks.
- Clean your patio or space regularly. Spills or leftover food will surely bring ants around.
Long-Term Pest Prevention For Your Yard
Keeping pests away from your property can be difficult. If you’ve done all you can to prevent pests in your outdoor living space and still find yourself with scorpions or a wasp nest, contact the residential exterminators at Western Exterminator today. We are committed to keeping our customers safe from pests both inside and outside the home.