It’s the last celebration for the summer. Labor Day means shorter, cooler days are around the corner. The kids have started a new school year. Football season is starting! Maybe you have planned a party or barbecue. While the thought of your end of summer yard party is exciting, the thought of sharing it with insects and critters makes you cringe. Keep your guests happy and your backyard pest-free during your Labor Day party by following these tips:
Mosquitoes are most active at dusk and dawn, so if you are planning a barbeque before sunset, adorn your deck or patio with citronella candles that can help minimize the presence of mosquitoes in the area.
Yellowjackets and other stinging insects are attracted to fragrances from shampoo, perfume and candles — not to mention food and drink. Avoid using scented items beforehand and provide clear plastic cups for your guests as aluminum cans and plastic bottles are good hiding spots for stinging insects.
Prior to the party, check screen doors and repair any holes. And with guests coming in and out of your house, make sure the doors close behind them.
1. Keep all food and beverages in sealed coolers and containers.
2. Keep garbage containers sealed and away from guests.
3. Clean trash, spills and crumbs immediately from tables and other surfaces.
4. Bring utensils and dishware indoors shortly after the meal.
5. Rinse all beverage bottles and cans, and dispose of them in tightly closed garbage containers.
6. Plan to serve food and beverages indoors, and reserve outdoor space for eating and entertaining.
7. Remove or drain sources of standing water in your yard that could be a breeding ground for mosquitoes, including birdbaths, wading pools or garden ponds.
At Western Exterminator, we hope you enjoy your yard during these final days of summer without worrying about being stung. If you do discover a stinging insect issue on your property, give us a call or fill out our contact form! With stinging insect and pest control services offered in Las Vegas and Henderson, we are ready to help you enjoy the upcoming fall season!