Baby, it’s cold outside! As the temperatures drop below freezing in the Las Vegas valley, just like us, scorpions are looking for warmth and shelter. A common myth is that scorpions die off during the winter, but they actually just hibernate. Scorpions can survive freezing temperatures, but they often choose to hibernate in homes where they can stay warm all winter.
Most scorpions are solitary arachnids, but during the winter Bark scorpions will nest together in large groups. Scorpions nest, or hibernate, in or under block wall fences, retaining walls, lumber, rocks, wall voids, and structural cracks and crevices.
Scorpions are nocturnal pests, so they hide during the day and are most active at night. They feed primarily on insects, especially crickets, cockroaches, and spiders. Scorpions can survive for months without food if water is readily available. As the only species of scorpion in Nevada that can climb, the invasive Bark Scorpion can scale walls and ceilings, then drop into beds, cribs, toilets and kitchen tables.
Eliminating food sources and harborage sites around your home is key to preventing a scorpion infestation. Make your home less attractive to scorpions by following these prevention tips:
- Eliminate standing water. Scorpions have a preference and need to settle near water and in moisture laden areas.
- Inspect cabinets, closets, and other dark places on a regular basis
- Clear away brush, debris, and woodpiles from the perimeter of your home. Keep firewood above ground and 30 feet away from your home.
- Repair damaged and torn window screens and seal cracks and crevices in your foundation. Scorpions only need the width of a credit card to gain access.
- Seal entry doors and garage doors. If light can be seen streaming from the exterior, the seal beneath the door should be repaired.
- Eliminate food sources utilizing a professional pest management program. Since scorpions feed on insects, managing pests on your property will help to eliminate their food supply.
Scorpions can survive temperatures well below the freezing point. If you have tried to eliminate these pests yourself without success, the best approach to control scorpions is through professional help. At Western Exterminator, our pest control professionals resolve Bark Scorpion infestations using a variety of different treatment techniques.
Where Do Scorpions Go In Winter? in Las Vegas NV
Serving Las Vegas - Henderson Metro Area