If you have never experienced ant problems in your Las Vegas – Henderson Nevada home, office, or school, count yourself among the fortunate few. However, if you’re like most people, you’ve fought your fair share of battles against this annoying pest – whether it’s odorous house ants trailing across the kitchen counter or a nest of ghost ants in your garden.
Preventing Ants from the Coming Indoors
- To keep ants out, take time to inspect the exterior of your home for easy access points. Keep trees and shrubs trimmed back away from your home, as branches can provide highways for ants to enter through your roofline, attic, and windows.
- Seal any cracks and crevices on the exterior of your home with a silicone-based caulk, paying special attention to areas where utility pipes and electrical wires enter.
Need a Pest Control Estimate?
We'll call you! Leave your information below.
How to Keep Ants Away From Your Home
Ants remain to be the number one nuisance pest in the United States. With nearly 1,000 species occurring in the country, and more than 20 types known to infest homes and other structures, it’s no wonder that so many homeowners in Nevada report having issues with ants. In spite of the statistics, there are some simple actions that you can take to reduce the chances of inadvertently inviting ants into your home.
- Eliminate Sources of Water: Ants need water to survive and reducing moisture and standing water around your home can go a long way to help prevent ants.
- Repair leaky faucets and pipes, and routinely check under sinks for areas of moisture.
- Consider using a dehumidifier in damp basements, crawl spaces, or attics.
- Outdoors, check that downspouts and gutters are functioning properly so that water flows away from your home’s foundation.
- Pet water bowls are extremely attractive to ants, regularly clean water bowls and wipe up any spilled water promptly.
- Eliminate Sources of Food: Keeping a clean and tidy kitchen will help to deter ants from coming indoors.
- Wipe down counters and sweep floors regularly to eliminate crumbs and residue from spills.
- Store food in tightly-sealed pest-proof containers, and keep ripe fruit in the refrigerator.
- Wipe down sticky jars, especially any containing sweet substances like honey, syrup, or soda.
- Keep tight-fitting lids on trash cans, and dispose of garbage regularly.
- Keep pet bowls clean, pick bowls up after feeding and clean up any spilled food promptly.
- Store dry pet food in a sealed plastic container or bin rather than the paper bags they often come in, which can be easily accessed by ants and other pests.
- Eliminate Entry Points: Ants are attracted to several areas in the home. Seal entry points that lead into the following spaces with a silicone-based caulk: due to the abundance of food and water resources, most ant infestations occur in kitchens. Besides kitchen areas, bathrooms, basements, inside walls, electrical outlets, and in/around air conditioning and heating units are also attractive to ants.
- Inspect pet doors that lead outdoors to ensure that pests cannot access your home. Remember that ants can fit through even the tiniest openings.
Hire a Professional Ant Exterminator
Without the proper education, training, and tools, battling ants can be a never-ending challenge. Furthermore, when the root issue is not directly addressed, an infestation continues to grow. At Rentokil, we know that some species of ants, like carpenter ants, can cause serious property damage. Other species, like fire ants, can be a health hazard to your family. Even species that are considered nuisance pests, like odorous house ants, can contaminate food as they forage through your kitchen and pantry.
Rentokil knows exactly what it takes to eliminate an ant problem from your home–permanently! By scheduling a year-round program with us, you can be sure ants will never be a long-term nuisance again.Back to Ant Exterminators – Control – Removal
Ant Prevention Tips in Las Vegas NV
Serving Las Vegas - Henderson Metro Area