When the weather starts to warm up every spring in Las Vegas, the ants return! Warmer temperatures encourage worker ants to leave their nests in search of food, which means this is the time of year you may start to see more ants in your property. To prevent the chance of them making their way indoors, the time for ant-proofing is now! Ant infestations are notoriously difficult to control once you have them, making it important to learn how to keep them out in the first place. Keep reading for expert ant-proofing tips from the team at Western Exterminator of Las Vegas!
What Are Ants Attracted To?
Just like many of us, ants have a sweet tooth and will go hunting for crumbs in your property. This makes kitchens particularly vulnerable to infestations. They also are attracted to moisture, making your sinks and cabinets a hot spot for infestations. Leaky pipes that cause excess moisture are a leading cause of ant problems. Lastly, ants can easily make their way indoors from cracks and crevices, and are drawn to homes that provide food and water.
With help from the NPMA, we’ve compiled a list of ant prevention tips for homeowners that will help guard your home against these pesky pests this year:
- Inspect your property and seal any cracks or crevices using a silicone-based caulk.
- Keep pet food bowls clean and always clean up messes made. Pick pet bowls up off the floor after meal times.
- Ensure downspouts and gutters are all functioning properly so that water is flowing away from the foundation.
- Similarly, check under sinks for excess moisture problems and repair leaky pipes promptly.
- Trim trees and shrubbery in your yard to be at least 6 inches away from the home.
- Wipe down your countertops and sweep floors regularly to clean up spills and remove crumbs.
- Store food (including pet food) in airtight containers and place ripe fruit in your fridge.
- Dispose of garbage on a regular basis and use trash cans with a tight-fitting lid.
Professional Ant Prevention
If you’ve done all you can to prevent ants but still see a problem forming in your Henderson or Las Vegas home, it’s best to call an ant exterminator. Many people attempt to address ant problems on their own, but they are infamously tricky to exterminate completely. At Western Exterminator, our professionals can help ensure your ant problem is taken care of quickly and efficiently.