Although termites are not especially prevalent in the Las Vegas valley, the western subterranean termite is the most prominent and most likely to infest your home. Subterranean termites are infamous for causing extensive structural damage in thousands of homes across the nation each year. This type of termite nests in the ground and constructs tunnels of mud tubes that allow them access into a home. Although they are fervent feeders, they tend to be picky and prefer to chew on soft wood found between the wood grains. Western subterranean termites are most often found developed areas and prefer warm climates, putting your Las Vegas home at risk throughout the entire year.
How To Identify the Western Subterranean Termite
Western subterranean termites have several identifying characteristics that set them apart from other types of termites:
- Workers have soft, translucent bodies that are only about 1/8″ long and wingless.
- Soldiers are orange in color and have a rectangular head with visible mandibles.
- Swarmers or alates have brown-gray wings, are about 3/8″ long, and have dark bodies.
Subterranean Termite Threats
As mentioned previously, subterranean termites are infamous for causing the most damage to homes across the nation each year. Their large population size, insatiable appetite, and strong mandibles enable them to cause irreparable damage to structures a bit more quickly than other types of termites. They are known to feed on wood sources inside your home and even the insulation in your walls so long as they have access to soil. Their damaging nature lies in the fact that these infestations can go on for years without being noticed, by which time extensive destruction could be done.
Preventing a Termite Infestation in Las Vegas
Even though termites aren’t a huge problem in Las Vegas, it’s still extremely important to take the necessary steps to prevent termites from infesting your home. A few ways to keep termites away from your property include:
- Eliminate sources of standing water in or near the home as well as any moisture problems, such as a leaky faucet or broken water pipe.
- Ensure your yard has good drainage, avoid excess mulch, and clean out gutters regularly.
- Be cautious of areas in the home where wood is in contact with soil.
- Keep piles of lumber or firewood away from the foundation of your home, and eliminate any sources of decaying lumber.
- Regularly inspect your deck, patio, or outdoor furniture for signs of damage.
- Remove dead trees and branches from areas surrounding your yard.
Professional Help for Western Subterranean Termites
It’s important to protect your Las Vegas home from all pests, including termites. If you’d like more information on how to prevent western subterranean termites from invading your home, give the experts at Rentokil a call today!
Subterranean Termites in the Las Vegas Valley in Las Vegas NV
Serving Las Vegas - Henderson Metro Area